When it comes to maintaining good oral health, having a family dentist in Raleigh is essential, serving patients of all ages, from young children to seniors. These services go beyond just teeth cleanings and fillings and can include a variety of treatments and procedures to help keep teeth and gums healthy.
What is a family dentist?
A family dentist is a dental professional who provides dental care for patients of all ages offering routine cleanings, exams, fillings, extractions, and more, with a focus on preventive care and education. A family dentist understands the unique dental needs of different age groups and provide customized treatment plans to suit each patient’s individual needs.
1) Dental Crowns: Dental crowns and caps serve as protective coverings for teeth, restoring their size and shape while enhancing their strength and appearance.
2) Dental sealants for children: Dental sealants are an effective preventative measure to ensure the long-term health of a child’s adult teeth, applying plastic resins to the biting surfaces of the back teeth to protect them from tooth decay.
3) Dental implants: A dental implant crown replaces a lost tooth. The root anchor, implanted during surgery where the original tooth root was located followed by the jaw bone around the anchor to fill in and supports it. Next is the abutment, which is screwed into the root anchor to attach the implant crown, which is the visible tooth-colored covering that sits above the gum line.
4) Dentures: Dentures are a type of dental prosthesis used to restore the normal function of the mouth when teeth are lost. A removable denture can either be a complete denture, replacing all teeth in the mouth, or a partial denture, replacing only some of the teeth. A fixed denture, is a permanent row of crowns that is cemented into place and cannot be removed.
5) Tooth extraction: This requires a bit of healing time and proper sedation helps make this treatment comfortable.
6) Tooth fillings: The size of the problem area within the tooth determines the most suitable material to use. If a cavity or fracture is too large, filling it with a simple filling may not provide sufficient strength, and other treatment options such as a dental crown or inlay may be required.
7) Root canals: The root canal is a hollow space within a tooth that contains soft tissue called the dental pulp, containing blood vessels and connective tissue that nourish the tooth and keep it healthy. The space also contains nerve endings extending from the tooth’s roots to other body parts. Prompt treatment helps minimize pain.
8) Gum disease treatment: Periodontal disease is a progressive condition referring to the destruction of the gums and bone surrounding the teeth. This condition is caused by bacteria that naturally exist in the mouth. Consistent daily oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing help prevent it.
9) Dental emergencies, such as a fractured tooth, an abscess, or severe pain while chewing, are also common. Over-the-counter pain medication often only provide temporary relief, so you should see an emergency dentist promptly to properly diagnose and correct the underlying issue as soon as possible.
Our family dentist in Raleigh offers a comprehensive range of dental services to restore and maintain good oral health using state-of-the-art technology and materials to provide effective, long-lasting solutions for their patients.